There are few things that can warm you up from the inside out during these crisp winter months, and we’re sharing two of our favorites with you here! This winter beef short rib stew pairs perfectly with our San Simeon Stormwatch; it’s the ultimate artisan wine pairing for these chilly winter nights.
San Simeon Stormwatch is a super premium red Bordeaux blend (47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 21% Merlot, 16% Malbec, 11% Petit Verdot, and 5% Cabernet Franc) aged in French oak barrels for a minimum of 18 months creating a dark, rich, and mouth-filling body. With ripe flavors of blackberry and raspberry and touches of spice and vanilla, this artisan wine complements the flavorful meat of this short rib stew.
Read below for this delicious recipe to enjoy with the thrill of Stormwatch and click here to purchase San Simeon Stormwatch from our online store.
Short Rib Stew Recipe:
Cook Time: 3 hours
- 2 pounds boneless short ribs, fat trimmed and cut into smaller pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut (optional)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (optional)
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Heat large pot over medium high heat and add olive oil.
- Add short ribs and sear for 4-5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and cover to cook for 2 hours. If liquid absorbs, add more wine.
- Remove short ribs, leaving sauce in pot.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, and thyme. Add celery and parsnips if using as well. Cook until fork tender.
- Add short ribs back to pot, as well as potatoes. Bring to a boil. Cook 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are softened.
- Serve with salt and pepper to taste, and fresh sprig of thyme.
Purchase San Simeon Stormwatch from our online store by clicking here so that you can pair it with this recipe! Be sure to post your photos on social media and tag us, @SanSimeonWines! For more recipes and pairing suggestions, click here!